If you have a question about your gambling, or the gambling of someone close to you, our FAQs from gambling consumers during lockdown may provide valuable information.
Try the new Gambling Commission website we're working on, and give us feedback.
Skip to main content

Premises licence

You need a premises licence from your local licensing authority to run a premises-based gambling business, for example a betting shop, bingo hall or arcade.

You need to have applied for an operating licence from us before you apply for a premises licence.

If your premises still needs to be built, needs major alterations, or you do not have the right to occupy it, you should apply for a provisional statement from your local licensing authority.

If you have the right to occupy your premises and you have a valid operating licence that allows you to run your gambling business, you can directly apply for a premises licence from your local licensing authority.

You may find it useful to review your local licensing authority’s gambling statement of policy before you apply. This will help you to see what their requirements are for gambling premises in their area.  

Contact your local licensing authority for more details.

How much does a premises licence cost?

Local licensing authorities in England and Wales are allowed to set the cost of a premises licence, depending on the type of premises.

The fees for premises licences in Scotland have been set centrally.

Who do I notify when I have applied for a premises licence?

You need to let these people know if you have applied for a premises licence or a provisional statement within seven days of applying:

You also need to announce that you have applied in public at least once in the ten working days after you submit your application by:

  • publishing in a local newspaper or newsletter
  • posting notice in a convenient place outside the proposed premises.