If you have a question about your gambling, or the gambling of someone close to you, our FAQs from gambling consumers during lockdown may provide valuable information.
Try the new Gambling Commission website we're working on, and give us feedback.
Skip to main content

What you need to send us when you apply for an operating licence: medium to large businesses

If you are a medium to large business these are the supporting documents you will need for your application for an operating licence for your gambling business.

If you are not sure whether your business would be considered small or medium to large then contact us to discuss your application before you apply.

Supporting documents for a medium to large business

Show allShow less

Audited accounts

If your business is a limited company that has already been trading for a year. Audited accounts should also be provided for any parent and/or holding company.

Bank statements

For all businesses. Bank statements for all accounts operated by your business for the last six months. These must be in the name of the applicant and show sort code and International Bank Account Number (IBAN) Business Identifier Code.

For new businesses not yet operating bank accounts. If part of a larger corporate structure, bank statements of the parent company for the last six months.

If not part of a larger corporate structure, other equivalent evidence of financial standing will be required and the Commission may request additional information.

Business plan

A detailed document that includes:

    • organisational background
    • details of facilities to be provided
    • marketing plan
    • financial plan
    • risk evaluation and risk management plan
    • governance and management framework
    • legal framework in which the business is operating
    • business objectives for the next 12 months
    • success criteria.

      And any other relevant information.

Certificate of incorporation

If your business is a limited company.

Credit report

If your business is a limited company based outside the United Kingdom.
If your business is a partnership based outside the United Kingdom, personal credit reports.

Existing licences

Copies of existing gambling-related licences, if your business is already licensed outside Great Britain. If applications are in progress in jurisdictions outside GB but not yet completed please provide details.


A three year profit/loss forecast including a commentary on the assumptions that have been made in creating the forecast.

Group structure chart

If your business is a limited company and is part of a larger corporate structure. The chart should show all the companies within the group structure and demonstrate the nature of the link and the percentage of holdings. With a complicated group structure a commentary should also be provided in the business plan.

Loan agreements

For all limited businesses, provide copies of all loan agreements linked to the company.

Memorandum of association and articles of association

If your business is a limited company.

Ownership structure

For all businesses. The chart should show who has a financial interest in the business. Anyone with a 3% equity or more in the company must be named and the percentage of their holding shown. Anyone with a 10% or more equity must submit an Annex A application or, if responsible for a key management function, a personal licence application . If the business is part of a larger corporate structure it is acceptable to provide a single chart to show the group structure and the ownership structure. With a complicated ownership structure a commentary should also be provided in the business plan.

Partnership agreement

If your business is a partnership of two or more people.

Management structure

For all companies. The structure should show all key management positions.

Policies and procedures

Written policies and procedures that explain how the business will meet the following licensing objectives in regard to all the activities applied for:

  • keeping crime and disorder out of gambling
  • ensuring that gambling is fair and open
  • ensuring that children and vulnerable people are protected from being harmed by gambling
  • promoting social responsibility in gambling.

The policies must cover all Licence Conditions and Codes of Practice that will apply to the business if a licence is granted and must specifically include a complaints procedure and who will be the ADR for the business, the self-exclusion procedure, how the business will keep up-to-date with any changes to LCCP and legislation and, for premises-based businesses, evidence of a local risk assessment.
Submitting an industry trade body toolkit is not evidence by itself that you have satisfactory policies. You must demonstrate how you will be implementing the procedures in the toolkit specifically for your business.

The policies should be supported wherever possible by process maps/flow diagrams which show how they will work in practice, where the escalation and decision points are, who is responsible for making those decisions and what their role in the business is. They should highlight any potential risks to the licensing objectives and the business and detail how these risks will be managed and mitigated.
Businesses providing remote casino, bingo and virtual event betting and/or non-remote casinos must provide an anti-money laundering policy.

All businesses (except gaming machine technical and gambling software licences) must conduct a money laundering and terrorist financing risk assessment, which should then be used to inform the operator’s associated policies, procedures and controls. Operators must assess and effectively manage the money laundering and terrorist financing risks applicable to their business, and the responsibility for this lies with the licensed operator, who is accountable for any shortcomings.

Read further guidance.

Rules of play

Provide copies of the rules of play for the gambling being offered (where applicable).

Terms and conditions

Provide copies of the terms and conditions which customers must agree to prior to gambling (where applicable). If the terms and conditions are not yet finalised please provide a draft copy.

Trust documents (trust deed, letter of wishes, letter of consent from trustees)

If your business is a trust or there is a trust involved in the ownership structure. Provide the name, date of birth and address of all trustees, beneficiaries, settlor and protector of the trust will be required. A beneficiary or a trustee will be required to submit an Annex A application.

Annual reports

Any quarterly, semi-annual or annual reports you have lodged with any government authority or regulator in the past five years.

Annual returns

All annual returns you have provided to any regulator for the past five years.

This includes annual returns to any tax authority, annual returns to Companies House or overseas equivalent, and annual returns to the Charity Commission or overseas equivalent.

Bonus/profit sharing schemes

Details of any bonus schemes, profit sharing arrangements, pension schemes, retirement schemes, deferred compensation arrangements and similar plans you operate for any employees. You must include:

  • the name and specifications of each scheme
  • the trustee of each scheme where applicable
  • the full terms and conditions of each scheme
  • what type of employee/individual each scheme is available to
  • what criteria an employee/individual must meet to qualify for each scheme.



Any constitution or constitutional documents. These are documents which define the existence of the entity and regulate the structure and control of the entity and its members.

Individual's compensation

A list of individuals you have compensated more than USD$250,000 (or GBP £200,000) in the last financial year.

Compensation refers to dividends, bonuses, salaries, employee contract benefits/arrangements or any other remuneration.

The list must include the full name of the individual; the amount of compensation they received during the last financial year; what form the compensation took; the reason the compensation was paid; the date the compensation started; the date it ended/is due to end; any terms or conditions of the compensation.

Individual identity documents

If you are a sole trader, you must provide personal identity documents.

Insolvency/administration/liquidation report

Any insolvency, administration or liquidation reports relating to the business (or any parent or sister or subsidiary company of the business).

Public debt/equity offerings

Documents relating to any public debt or equity offerings you have lodged in the past 12 months.

Share certificates

If the business is limited by share certificates for all shareholdings in the business of 10% or more.


Additional supporting documents