A new business plan sets out how consumers will be at the heart of the Gambling Commission’s work over the coming year.
Published today, the plan covers the period from April 2016 to March 2017.
Themes providing direction to the Commission’s work include:
- building on vital work to protect the most vulnerable, and set standards for responsible and safe gambling
- ensuring markets are fair and open for consumers by tackling problems with online marketing, terms and conditions, and unsolicited texts
- giving consumers confidence that markets are not rigged, or subject to fixing, and otherwise are kept free from crime.
Gambling Commission chairman Philip Graf said: “This business plan shows a further strengthening of our focus on the consumer.”
The plan sets out how the Commission will support the delivery of its statutory responsibilities by way of five strategic objectives:
- empowering and protecting consumers
- raising standards across all gambling sectors
- building partnerships and understanding, both domestically and internationally
- ensuring fair play on the National Lottery
- improving regulation
A number of Commission priorities are highlighted including a sharp focus on progress to deliver the new three-year National Responsible Gambling Strategy, implementing new regulations to tackle crime and money laundering, and reviewing enforcement policies and practices to promote credible deterrence.
The plan also identifies how the Commission will be efficient by aiming to ensure that the costs of regulation fall fairly on operators as part of the current fees review.
Looking further ahead, the plan signals the intention to develop a new corporate strategy to reflect changes in markets, technology, consumer behaviours and regulatory approaches.
Corporate business plan 2016-17
Notes to editors
- More information about how we regulate the gambling industry.
- Useful statistics on the gambling industry.
Journalists can contact our press office on 0121 230 6700 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Posted on 29 April 2016