Frequently asked questions (FAQs)

What can I do if I am affected by gambling?


Getting help and support to stop gambling

Information about the signs of problem gambling can be found on the GambleAware website.

GambleAware also provide general information about gambling, including how to gamble safely and where to get help if you or someone you know has problems with their gambling.

If you or someone you know has been affected by gambling you can contact GamCare on 0845 600 0133 or visit the GamCare website.

This list of problem gambling organisations can also help you find a service that is right for you.

Help with stopping yourself from gambling - self-exclusion

If you would like to prevent yourself from gambling at particular premises run by an operator licensed by the Gambling Commission, you can ask them to refuse to accept your custom – this is known as self-exclusion.

Once you have self-excluded, you should be refused service with the operator for an agreed period of time, and for at least six months. Responsibility for sticking with this lies with you as an individual, but you can expect the operator to do all that they reasonably can to help you to do so.

Each operator will have their own self-exclusion process but all must make information readily available about how to self-exclude. Details of the procedures that all licenced operators must have in place can be found in Licence conditions and codes of practice - consolidated May 2014, under the heading of ‘self-exclusion’.

How many premises/operators will I be excluded from?

The basic unit of self exclusion is a single premises run by a particular operator, but some operators have systems in place which will exclude you from all of their premises. You should make sure that you understand where you are excluded from and make sure you exclude from all the places where you may be tempted to gamble.

Page last reviewed: October 2012

How do you rate this page?