Can I play poker at home?
Playing games of poker in your own home, between friends and on
a non-commercial basis, is legal as long as all of the following
conditions are met:
- Play must take place in a private dwelling.
- Play is part of a domestic occasion (such as a private
- The rest of the participants must be your legitimate guests or
- Members of the public can not join in.
- You cannot ask people to pay a fee, separate from the stake, to
take part. This is the case whether the fee is expressed to be
voluntary or compulsory, particularly if players are prevented from
playing if they do not make the “voluntary” donation, or there is
strong peer pressure to make the donation.
There is no limit on the stakes and prizes when playing poker at
Persons under 18 are allowed to participate in poker that is
played at home.
Page last reviewed: June2012