I want to start a gambling business - can you approve my idea?
The Gambling Commission receives a number of requests from
people seeking advice or approval in setting up a business. We do
not provide legal advice, including advice concerning the correct
interpretation of legislation. Therefore, we cannot advise you
regarding the viability or legality of a business idea. It is up to
you to obtain your own business or legal advice.
What we do
- We make substantial information available via our website to
assist you in forming your ideas.
- We clarify areas of obvious confusion, for instance, many
enquirers are looking to apply for a lottery licence for a
commercial business. However, lotteries are ring-fenced for good
causes to use as a method of fundraising.
- We can provide you with links to our website that indicates the
sector into which your proposal appears to fall. This provides you
with information about when a licence is required.
What we don’t do
- We do not enter into discussions about developing your business
idea to either be in or out of the scope of the Gambling Act
- We do not provide advice or information other than that
- We do not provide advice on the feasibility of a business
Further information on starting a business
Further information on starting a business can be found at:
If your business is gambling related and you do require a
licence, further information can be found in the licensing section of our