Gambling sectors

How do I apply for an operating licence - bingo?



You need an operating licence from the Gambling Commission if you run commercial bingo games, whether on a premises or through remote communication. See Do I need a licence? for more details on what kinds of licence are needed to run bingo games.

You will need a premises licence from your local licensing authority to run a bingo hall.

If you apply for an operating licence, we will publish that you have applied on our operating licence register.

Find out how to apply for a non remote operating licence below.

If you want to apply for non remote and remote licences at the same time, you must apply online and can no longer apply using the manual application form shown below.  Please see our remote sector information for details.

What forms do I have to complete?

You can apply for an operating licence by completing the following forms (you will need Adobe Reader 9.1 or above installed on your computer in order to download them).

Make sure you read the guidance notes before you apply.

If you need to order paper copies of these forms, please contact us.




Operating licence application

Applicants for remote businesses must also complete:

Applicants for continuation of business (following a change in shareholders or owners), or change of legal entity must also complete:

If you need to order paper copies of these forms, please contact us.

We will have regard to the previous history of an applicant and associated individuals when determining licence applications. Therefore please ensure that details of all investigations, convictions and cautions are provided.

A list of Schedule 7 offences under the Gambling Act 2005 is available on the website. You will also find related advice in our Licensing compliance and enforcement policy statement - September 2009.

What else will I need to complete my application?

Someone in your company with authority, such as the managing director or company secretary, needs to sign the declaration forms. Read the guidance notes to find out more.

As well as your completed application form, you will also need to send in:

  • any continuation pages you have used
  • original supporting documents (originals or notarised copies. Originals will be returned by recorded or special delivery and will need to be signed for upon receipt) 
  • Disclosure and Barring Service (if you live/work in England or Wales) or Disclosure Scotland (if you live/work in Scotland) application form. Email or call our contact centre to get a copy of either form 
  • any personal licence or Annex A applications you are making ( Operating licence application - (Annex A) personal declaration form - March 2014)
  • proof of identity documents (originals or notarised copies. Originals will be returned by recorded or special delivery and will need to be signed for upon receipt)
  • your business plan
  • organisational chart
  • Annex B Financial Declaration form
  • the licence fee.

If your company is not based in Great Britain (GB), we will need a GB contact address.

If you do not send us all the information we require, we may reject your application.

We will not return your fee if your application is unsuccessful or you choose to withdraw from the application process.

How do I submit my application?

You can type into the application form and print it out or print out the blank form and fill it in by hand in black ink. You should send your operating and personal licence application forms (or Annex A personal declaration) along with any supporting documents to the address below. Make sure if you are paying your licence fee by credit or debit card that you have completed the payment section at the end of the application form.

Licensing Submissions
Gambling Commission
Victoria Square House
Victoria Square
B2 4BP


Page last reviewed: March 2013

Do it online


Apply for a licence - you are here:

How do I apply?

When do I apply?

Application fees

Annual fees

What happens next?

Making changes to a licence


How do you rate this page?