What to look at before gambling
Before you transfer any money into a gambling account you should check that the organisation you plan to gamble with is licensed by the Gambling Commission.
Licensed gambling businesses must display that they are licensed and provide a link to our licence register where you can see what type of activities they are allowed to offer and also if we have taken any regulatory action against them.
If there is no regulatory action listed, then we have not taken any action against them.
You can also see their address, website domain names, trading names and current licence status.
What to look for on a gambling website
- check whether the website is displaying a British Gambling Commission licensed status
- check whether you can click directly through to our public licence register and if it shows the licence of this business
- check whether the details on the licence (including activities and website domain names) match the public licence register
- check the terms and conditions for each gambling product - this will help you understand exactly what you are betting on so you can make an informed decision
- check for any restrictions on introductory offers or bonuses (such as a minimum spend level before the bonus is paid).
If in doubt do not deposit funds with them and report your concerns to us.
If a gambling business does not have a Gambling Commission licence, it is acting illegally by offering gambling to consumers in Great Britain. As a result:
- we may take action against the operator
- the businesses’ payment facilities may be withdrawn by the major payment systems organisations - notably MasterCard, PayPal and Visa.
If you think a business is offering gambling illegally report your concerns to us.