How do I complain about the National Lottery
We regulate the National Lottery under the National Lottery etc. Act 1993. If you are dissatisfied with any aspect of the National Lottery, you should in the first instance, complain directly to Camelot, the National Lottery operator.
Any decision made by Camelot in its customer complaints procedure is entirely at its own discretion and we do not get involved in the decisions which Camelot makes.
How to make a complaint to Camelot the National Lottery operator
Your rights as a consumer and further information about ADR
Complaints about policy decisions
You can contact us regarding any objections you may have to policy decisions we make (for example games licensed, commercial decisions taken by Camelot on the running of the National Lottery and the role of the Gambling Commission).
We will endeavour to respond to your objections within 20 working days of receipt, subject to the issues raised and the volume of enquiries received at any time.
What is our role in protecting players of the National Lottery?
We make sure that information about the National Lottery is clear and accessible to players. This includes information on what games are available, how to play them and how to claim prizes. Information is available on the National Lottery website
The National Lottery has high standards of player protection. The National Lottery website and Play By Text services have been accredited by GamCare, the UK’s national centre for information, advice and practical help regarding the social impact of gambling.
We respond to National Lottery consumer complaints as a regulator. This means:
- We do not adjudicate on consumer complaints as we are not a complaint handling body.
- When we receive a consumer complaint, we consider the issues raised from a regulatory perspective only.
- We will inform you if we feel regulatory action is appropriate.
- We do not rule on disputes between players and Camelot and therefore cannot alter the outcome of a complaint.
- We cannot pay compensation or refunds nor compel Camelot to do so.
- We value all of the information that we receive through consumer complaints as it informs the regulatory decisions and enforcement action that we take to ensure that the National Lottery is run with integrity, players are protected and funds to good causes are maximised.
If we decide it is necessary to take regulatory or enforcement action against Camelot based on the information you have provided we will notify you.
The information that players provide about complaints enables us to ensure that Camelot is following its procedures and processes under the terms of its operating licence, and to take action when problems are identified. This is why we value each and every contact that we receive.