Skip to main content

Remote betting intermediary (trading rooms) operating licence

Regardless of where you are based in the world, you need a licence from us if:

  • you are providing facilities for gambling to consumers in Great Britain online (or through any other means of remote communication)
  • any part of your remote gambling equipment is based in Great Britain. 

This licence allows you to run a trading room from a premises licensed by your local licensing authority. 

There is a remote operating licence for each type of gambling activity you might want to provide.

Trading rooms are where you set up equipment that lets people bet with a third party such as a betting exchange or fixed-odds betting operator, online or through other remote methods. You are never involved in the bets made. 

Application fee remote betting intermediary (trading rooms) operating licence

 Gross gambling yield





Up to £0.55 million

£0.55m - £6.6m


Remote betting intermediary (trading rooms)




Annual fee

Your first annual fee is due 30 days after your licence is issued to you and every year on the anniversary of the day your licence was issued.

If you apply for a combination of different operating licences, you will get a discount on your annual fee. 

 Gross gambling yield




Less than £550k



Remote betting intermediary (trading rooms) - annual fee




Also see

Betting: which licence do you need?

Advice for remote, non-remote and betting intermediaries

107 KB Download

Is a trading room licence required?

Advice for businesses who may need a trading room licence

30 KB Download