Skip Navigation |

How do I apply for a personal management licence - remote?

If you apply for an operating licence to run a remote gambling business, you may need to apply for one or more personal management licences (PMLs) as well.

You might not need to apply for a PML if you qualify as a small scale operator|

However, if you are applying for a non-remote or remote casino licence, the Commission’s view, as a matter of policy, is that it is difficult for a casino operator to be able to satisfy the Commission that they can uphold the licensing objectives; adhere to licence conditions and codes of practice; and manage the particular risks of a casino operation effectively with only up to three people occupying the qualifying positions.

The Commission would therefore normally expect that such operators have more than three people occupying the qualifying positions and that those individuals apply for PMLs.

If a casino operating licence applicant is of the view that they could satisfy the Commission as to effective management and control with three people or fewer in the qualifying positions, they should contact the Commission to discuss this before submitting the application.

If you qualify as a small-scale operator, individuals will need to complete an Annex A personal declaration form instead of a PML application (Operating licence application - (Annex A) personal declaration form - March 2014|) with details of anyone in these positions.

Otherwise, anyone responsible for any of these areas of your organisation will need to apply for a PML:

  • Overall strategy and delivery of gambling operations.
  • Financial planning, control and budgeting.
  • Marketing and commercial development.
  • Regulatory compliance.
  • IT provision and security related to gambling.

Individuals who perform more than one of these management functions at the same time only need to hold one PML.

You should apply for personal management licences (PMLs) for people in relevant management positions at the same time as applying for your operating licence.

Until the Gambling Commission issues your PML, you should not carry out the responsibilities that a PML allows you to do, for example, make operational decisions.

Application forms for personal management licences

You should apply online by completing the following forms (you will need Adobe Reader 9.1| or above installed on your computer in order to download them):

Please read the guidance notes carefully when completing your application form.

If you need a paper copy of these forms, please contact us|.

What do I need to do to complete my application?

As well as your completed application form, you will also need to send in:

If you are not a British national or have not lived in the UK for the past two years, you should also send us your overseas police report.

If you do not send us all the information we require, we may reject your application.

We will not return your fee if your application is unsuccessful or you choose to withdraw from the application process.

How do I submit my application?

You print out the blank application form| and fill it in by hand in black ink. When you have completed your personal management licence application and photo ID form, please send them along with any supporting documents to the address below. Make sure if you are paying your licence fee by credit or debit card that you have completed the payment section at the end of the application form. 

Licensing Submissions
Gambling Commission
Victoria Square House
Victoria Square
B2 4BP

What happens next?

Find out what happens after you apply|.

Page last reviewed: September 2013

How do you rate this page?