If you apply for an operating licence you may need to apply for one or more personal management licences (PMLs) as well.
You might not need to apply for a PML if you qualify as a small-scale operator. However, if you are applying for a non-remote or remote casino licence, the Commission’s view, as a matter of policy, is that it is difficult for a casino operator to be able to satisfy the Commission that they can uphold the licensing objectives; adhere to licence conditions and codes of practice; and manage the particular risks of a casino operation effectively with only up to three people occupying the qualifying positions.
The Commission would therefore normally expect that such operators have more than three people occupying the qualifying positions and that those individuals apply for PMLs.
If a casino operating licence applicant is of the view that they could satisfy the Commission as to effective management and control with three people or fewer in the qualifying positions, they should contact the Commission to discuss this before submitting the application.
If you qualify as a small-scale operator, individuals will need to submit an Annex A personal declaration instead of a PML application with details of anyone in these positions.
Otherwise, anyone responsible for any of these areas of your organisation will need to apply for a PML:
- Overall strategy and delivery of gambling operations.
- Financial planning, control and budgeting.
- Marketing and commercial development.
- Regulatory compliance.
- Gambling related IT provision and security.
- Management of the licensed activity for a particular area in Great Britain where you have five or more sets of premises for which you hold a premises licence.
- Management of a single set of casino licensed premises.
- Management of a single set of bingo licensed premises.
- Nominated officer for anti-money laundering and associated purposes for a casino operator.
Individuals who perform more than one of these management functions at the same time only need to hold one PML.
You should apply for personal management licences (PMLs) for people in relevant management positions at the same time as applying for your operating licence.
Until the Gambling Commission issues your PML, you should not carry out the responsibilities that a PML allows you to do, for example, make operational decisions.
Using the online application service
If you are applying for a licence for the first time, apply online using Application online – a new way of applying for licences.
Understanding how the online application service works
We understand prospective licence applicants may want to try the online application service out, to understand how it works and what is required, before using it to submit an application.
To avoid confusion and so that it is clear to us that the application is a ‘test run’ rather than a genuine application, we request that you do the following:
- Include the word TEST at the end of the applicant’s last name on the Personal details page of the system
- When you get to the end of the application make sure you do not submit the application
- If you subsequently want to submit a real application, start a fresh application and delete the ‘test application’.
What else will I need to complete my application?
.As well as your completed online application, you will also need to send in:
- supporting documents (originals or notarised copies) if you decide not to upload these as part of the online application. Originals will be returned by recorded or special delivery and will need to be signed for upon receipt)
- Disclosure and Barring Service (if you live/work in England or Wales) or Disclosure Scotland (if you live/work in Scotland) application form. Email or call our contact centre to get a copy of either form. If you live overseas, you will need to provide a police record from your country of residence.
- proof of identity documents (originals or notarised copies) for individuals and proof of identity documents for the business if you decide not to upload these as part of the online application. Originals will be returned by recorded or special delivery and will need to be signed for upon receipt.
- the licence fee if you decide not to pay online as part of the online application.
- copies of any gambling licences not issued in the United Kingdom (UK) (originals or notarised copies) if you decide not to upload these as part of the online application (if you decide to upload these documents, you must upload certified copies). Originals will be returned by recorded or special delivery and will need to be signed for upon receipt.
If you are not a resident of Great Britain, we will need a UK contact address.
If you do not send us all the information we require, we may reject your application.
We will not return your fee if your application is unsuccessful or you choose to withdraw from the application process.
How do I submit documents I decide not to upload as part of the online application?
You should post these to the address below quoting the applicant name and the unique application reference ID given to you during the online application.
Victoria Square House