Skip Navigation
Keeping gambling Fair and safe for all

Do I need a licence - bingo?

There are three types of licence that bingo businesses may need to apply for:

Your business may need all three kinds.

The Gambling Commission issues operating licences and personal licences; premises licences are issued by local licensing authorities.

Do I need an operating licence?

In most circumstances, you do need an operating licence if you are providing bingo services. Bingo operating licences cover bingo halls and remote bingo services where people pay to play. Find out which type of operating licence you need, and how to apply.

There are some circumstances in which you do not need a bingo operating licence:

Do I need a personal licence?

If you do need an operating licence, you may also need a personal management licence (PML) unless you qualify as a small-scale operator.

Anyone who is responsible for any of these areas of your organisation will need to apply for a PML:

  • Overall strategy and delivery of gambling operations.
  • Financial planning, control and budgeting.
  • Marketing and commercial development.
  • Regulatory compliance.
  • Gambling related IT provision and security.
  • Management of the licensed activity for a particular area in Great Britain where you have five or more sets of premises for which you hold a premises licence.
  • Management of a single set of bingo licensed premises.

Individuals who perform more than one of these management functions at the same time only need to hold one PML. Apply for a personal management licence.

Do I need a premises licence?

For bingo halls, you will need a premises licence from your local licensing authority.

You should apply for a premises licence for a bingo hall. Find out more about applying for a premises licence here, or contact your local licensing authority.

Page last reviewed: March 2015

Gambling sectors